Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Agaisnt the wind

I've been talking about riding my bike alot lately, some of you may have noticed. It's literally the only interesting thing I do anymore, since school is out and making fart noises with my hands during tests is impossible. Anyway, I ride by the canal and Friday last week, it was super windy. Without exaggerating, there were breakers in the canal, actual white foamy breakers from the wind. I didn't notice the breakers for the first three miles because i was going so fast and i was thinking "man, this biking thing has realy been woring, i'm not even tired!"Turns out, I had my back to the wind the whole way out (three miles out, three miles back). I made the first three in ten minutes, tops. The way back, i was against the wind, wondering why i even had a stupid bike and whether or not they'd be able to identify my remains from dragging the canal after i plummeted in after losing control of my bike or some such thing. i would pedal harder but the resistance was even greater. the harder you push, the harder you get pushed. i was biking slower than i walk and it took me half an hour to get back home, with only brief breaks from the gusts. my legs were buring and i could ahrdly breathe (not hard to imagine me out of breath, but that's why i'm biking). anyway, i made it home and i was thinking alter how very like the worldm that whole situation was. when you go along with stuff, you seem to be sailng fine, there's no resistance, but it's no help. you can't get in shape if you let the wind push you. if you turn around and go agaisnt the wind, you are in for a fight, but it will push you arder and make you stronger. te harder you push against them, the harder they push back, but you make it. they can't stop you.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Hi Trevor - Your Aunt Brenda here. I really enjoyed reading about your analogy between biking and life - going with the flow vs. against it. It is so true. I wish I had had your insights when I was your age. I was clueless as they say.

I've been keeping up with your status in Kenya. I pray for you many times every day - as you come into my thoughts.
There is not much excitment here. I knew you were leaving Saturday, and I meant to call you. I was hauling some more fence panels back from 189th Ave and Glendale. I didn't think it would take me so long - but getting the things loaded and secure took quite a while - and the first thing I knew...it was way to late to call you as you were already on your way. Love you lots, Aunt Brenda